And now for the truth:
- Yes, Michael Jordan went home and cried, but not because he didn’t make the team. He made JV. It was his sophomore year. JV is where he should have played. But, he cried because his friend, a fellow sophomore, made varsity. Why? He was a center, a 6’7” center!! The team lacked height. Michael Jordan is a fucking baby. He famously holds nasty grudges for way too long.
- Okay, sure. The Beatles were passed on. Guess what, almost every fucking band ever has been passed on at some point. Decca sent an A&R rep to see their shows. No other labels were willing to go even that far. When Decca passed Staurt Sutcliffe was still alive, Ringo was not in the band, and most importantly they had never met George Martin. So, that’s basically like someone passing on the Rolling Stones before Mick Jagger was born.
- Eminem is rich, sure. He’s also talented. What else is there to envy? He’s had a rather shitty life and seems like a dick. He’s addicted to drugs, twice divorced, many of his best friends have died, he feuds with other artists all the time…I’m honestly supposed to be inspired by him? I don’t get it.
- Steve Jobs was fired…Jobs was also a notorious asshole. Sure, if you’re a fucking dick, people will fire you. That’s the way it works. I love all the Jobs vs. Gates stuff that came out after Jobs’ death. It took something that sad to realize Gates is a hell of a lot better of a guy than Jobs ever was. Although, Apple products have rounded edges so I can see why he’s such a genius (typed on a 10 year old IBM that runs like Usain Bolt.)
- Walt Disney was a businessman first. His artists and writers created most of the cells and stories we attribute to him today. He took credit for them because, in part, he considered his company a “family.” He used this same excuse to pay his animators less than other studios, they went on strike, that flipped him the fuck out because he was anti-union. Also, he was friends with Ronald Reagan, whose was a great speaker! And an idiot president! (That last part is personal, I’m sure Reagan was a decent guy.)
- Oprah wasn’t fit for reporting. She found her market; old, white people, mostly women. Maybe they were right to demote her, I mean hell, it just happened again at her own OWN. By the way, she never went on to become a successful reporter. So by the logic employed here, we could talk about how inspiring it is the Brad Pitt was fired from his waiting job! 1+2=17.
- Einstein spoke. He did so very slowly, sure. It’s not uncommon for highly intelligent people to develop their speaking skills very slowly. They call that phenomenon The Einstein Syndrome. Einstein was a math and science guy - saying he “was no Einstein” is so ignorant. It’s akin to calling Shakespeare an idiot because he never discovered a new species of animal.
Go ahead, be inspired! That’s great. Just realize that it’s 75% bullshit.